Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Welcome to the Rising Star Farm blog

I thought I would take the opportunity to chronicle life on a warmblood breeding farm/stallion station.  Over the next few blogs, I am going to share the history of Rising Star Farm and then continue with current news.

Rising Star Farm, a small breeding farm in Central Texas, is home to several warmblood stallions, sport horse mares and young stock.  Our mission is to produce exceptional jumpers, hunters and dressage horses. 

Sounds simple - but in reality breeding horses is overwhelming at times. 

Rising Star Farm was born in 2002.  My husband bought me two horses when we got married in 2001.  He generously believed that he was satifying a childhood dream.  He NEVER realized that he had basically started an uncontrollable action that would take over our lives.

Once I was boarding two horses, the urge to have "horse property" took over.  Little did I know that the agricultural tax laws in Central Texas required breeding stock on my little horse farm.  Enter Dream Chaser - a wonderful 1991 TB mare by Darn that Alarm.  I assured my husband that Dream was "his" horse - and an important feature of our new breeding program on our little horse farm.  Enter Pam Norton - owner of the wonderful Trakehner stallion Onassis (and previous owner of Dream Chaser).  Things started to snowball - since I couldn't have just one broodmare.  Enter Wilbur's Boogie, another TB broodmare that we bred to the Florida based stallion Lotus T.  Do you see a pattern here?

Of course, my husband and I reasoned that it made more sense to own our own stallion, so shortly after Rising Star Farm came to life, Cielo B arrived.  A  long yearling - 18 months old when he arrived on the farm on a very cold day in January 2004.  Our stallion prospect would go on to make so many of our dreams come true.

Why have one stallion when you can have two?  Deja Blue B - by Olympic Ferro arrived one year after Cielo.  By now, the broodmare band had grown and I started to trade my TB mares out for Warmblood mares.  Bala, a Trakehner mare arrived as did Cinnamon B.

In the meantime, we bred to outside stallions and waited for our boys to grow up.  In 2005, Cielo B was approved for breeding with the BWP and our program took off.

No comments:

Post a Comment